Principal, Transformation & Optimization
Cleveland, OH 44109 US
Analogous to a design or consultation firm, the Principal in Transformation & Optimization Division serves as a senior-level
team member assigned to operational process analysis, redesign, and execution consultation, working on a wide range of
current and emerging initiatives, projects and activities that are designed to strengthen and grow The Health System. When
assigned to an area or need, the principal provides leadership consultation, supplies objective and data-driven analyses, and
identifies risks as well as multiple options to accomplish goals and desired outcomes. Undertaking complex projects and
activities, researching, initiating, and successfully managing internal initiatives and organizational change strategies to improve
and grow the Health System. Clinical, functional, or technical areas or performance enhancement projects determined by
senior leadership to be of a key strategic priority will comprise the possible body of work. Works seamlessly with senior
leadership and cross-functional teams, using team building, collaborative, and inclusive methods in the pursuit of internal
process enhancements, service improvements, and external community outreach activities. May be required to execute unique
and emerging special project assignments that require critical thinking, analytical skills, and report writing expertise, within a
short window of opportunity. Upholds the mission, vision, values, and customer services standards of the Health System.
Contributes to patient safety by supporting the System-wide programs and policies addressing a safe environment for patients
and the reporting of safety concerns to the appropriate individuals.
1. Serves a Principal level consultant within the T&O Division to assigned departments/areas/projects, working on a wide
range of current and emerging initiatives, projects, and activities that are designed to strengthen and grow the Health
System. Provides counsel, supplies objective and data-driven analyses, and identifies risks as well as multiple options
to accomplish goals and desired outcomes.
2. Assists in shaping the strategic agenda and areas of focus for the assigned project/initiative. This includes being
proactive in anticipating opportunities and challenges and devising and bringing forth strategies to address them,
including finding innovative solutions to complex problems.
3. Serves as a key advisor on policy/process matters, recommending changes and enhancements that are contemporary
and reflective of best practices. Ensuring system-wide applicability, implementation, and dissemination.
4. Leads individuals and teams – across functions, both internally and externally. Maintains sponsor-level oversight for
assigned projects, ensuring progress according to planned objectives and established milestones and measurement
criteria. Remaining responsible to internal stakeholders until operational stability and transition to ongoing team
5. Exercises independent personal initiative in researching and analyzing current and emerging trends shaping
healthcare, business operations, and workforce development. Identifies innovation and improvement opportunities.
Utilizes data to internally influence and inform senior leadership of new programs, cutting-edge workforce
development training activities, and alternative strategies to policy and procedural issues, protocol, and opportunities
for better processes.
6. Works with the senior leadership and cross-functional teams; provides leadership, coordinates work activities, and
facilitates the exchange of ideas and information; pursues forward-thinking and creative solutions to problems, unique
approaches towards accomplishing high-priority initiatives, and rapid response to new and challenging opportunities.
7. Conducts operational reviews and cost-benefit analyses of select functions, including operational costs, staffing, and
related activities within the Health System. Develops recommendations and accountability plans for service delivery
8. Executes unique and occasionally spontaneous special project assignments that require critical thinking, analytical
skills, and report writing expertise, within a short window of opportunity.
9. Enhances professional growth and development by keeping current with legislative developments impacting
healthcare, trends, and practices through participation in continuing education courses, professional organizations,
seminars, and workshops, reading current literature and maintaining professional contacts within the community.
10. Displays sensitivity to and understanding of various cultural, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
11. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
• Master’ s degree or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in addition to the
experience stated below.
• Seven years of experience in systemic problem solving, influencing, and creating change in complex organizations,
process improvement, and managing large cross-functional initiatives.
• Demonstrated leadership skills, and ability to plan, organize, coordinate and direct multiple projects and activities with
• Analytical ability and experience with strategic planning processes.
• Must be a strategic thinker and effective in moving strategic agendas; be politically savvy and ensure the utmost
discretion and confidentiality in all matters.
• Team building skills with the ability to work well with all levels of personnel.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with diverse internal and external constituents.
• Strong financial acumen and understanding of financial planning methodologies.
• Ability to deal effectively with ambiguous situations.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including PowerPoint, Project, and Visio, as well as project management tools.
• Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of cultural, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Prior executive experience.
• Leadership experience in a teaching and/or public hospital.
• Advanced Degree in a business-related field or relevant discipline.
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of Lean/Six Sigma principles and methodology.
• Diversity of experience with a focus on logistics, production, change management, clinical operations, information
systems or IT applications, or process/service human-centered design.