Vendor Relations Manager
Akron, OH 44304
Summary of Position:
The Manager, IT&S Vendor Relations (“ Vendor Relations Manager”) manages the contract, performance, relationship, and risk management processes with IT&S vendors. He/she acts as the key contact and subject matter expert for all contract-related and vender activities. This includes assisting with negotiating contract terms, conditions, modifications, incentives and remedies, while working with key stakeholders to ensure that their requirements are met. Additionally, this role will be responsible for the vendor life-cycle by creating a process for on-boarding and off-boarding of IT vendors and for tracking vendor performance and contract compliance. Finally, the Vendor Relations Manager manages the contract execution process, resolving problems, mitigating delays, assisting with audits, mediating disputes and escalating issues.
- Formal Education Required:
- Bachelor’ s degree in Information Technology, Procurement, Law or related discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Experience & Training Required:
- Minimum of five years' experience with negotiating and managing contract life cycles, with an emphasis on technology or IT service agreements.
- Experience in managing large complex contracts in one or more IT categories, including hardware, software, service and communications.
- Direct work experience with software licensing, hardware procurement, and offshore agreements in a purchasing or procurement capacity.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working with all key departments (security, compliance, finance, tax, AP, legal and procurement), and knowledge of procurement and vendor management practices and certifications (CIPS, ITIL and COBIT).
- Solid working knowledge of current IT technologies, including software, hardware and telecommunications, across a wide variety of areas, including both clinical and non-clinical systems.
- Ability to understand contract risks and to work with other parts of the organization in crafting tactics and strategies for risk mitigation.
- Knowledge of best practices for IT contract negotiation tactics and strategies.
- Demonstrated success working with cross-functional and matrixed teams.
- Other Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- Tenacious with effective bartering and negotiation skills.
- Ability to deal tactfully with vendors, suppliers, and contractors who provide a broad spectrum of products and services.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of stakeholders and vendors.
- Strong leadership skills, particularly in the area of influencing without direct authority.
- Excellent Analytical skills with expert knowledge of word/excel.
- Ability to effectively interact with populations of patients/customers with an understanding of their needs for self-respect and dignity.
- Level of Physical Demands:
- Sedentary: Exerts up to ten pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently
Key Results & Accountability Areas:
The following key results and accountability areas will be carried out in a manner fully consistent with the Summa mission, values and philosophies.
- Technical Skills
Demonstrates competence in required job skills and position specific knowledge. Also demonstrates knowledge of and follows hospital policies and procedures.
- Maintains a high level of services to user departments, Materials Management staff and vendors.
- Coordinates and supervises the activities of Affiliate Services staff. Directs the day to day operation of the Affiliate Services Program by responding to customer inquiries, meeting with vendors, resolving problems with contract interpretation and administration.
- Maintains knowledge base of industry trends and product developments potentially affect ting Affiliate Services Program customers.
Anticipates and pays attention to needs of patients, guests and Summa team members. Uses data to measure outcomes, track quality and enable improvement.
- Tracks vendor compliance with applicable terms and conditions and reviews contract
- Monitors compliance to GPO contracts and standardization initiatives and provides period
updates/reports to supervision and MM staff.
- Assists with the accurate reporting of all savings generated by the system contracts/ agreement/utilization.
- Provides assistance in the tracking & collection of contract agreement rebates.
- Utilizes appropriate benchmarking opportunities to identify effectiveness of offered contracts/
agreements (i.E.ECRI Price Guide, etc).
- Participates in scheduled GPO meetings to identify opportunities for investigation.
- Conducts analyses to demonstrate the value of affiliation.
- Calls on client facilities as a services representative or to ensure that services representatives are performing appropriately by instructing clients in the use of contract and support systems. Provides information allowing clients to maximize benefits of the Affiliate Services Program.
- Negotiates regional agreements, oversees the maintenance and communication of these agreements, and monitors vendor's performance under these agreements.
Completes a sufficient amount of work on schedule. Actively seeks ways to improve and streamline processes. Attendance and punctuality are acceptable under Summa’ s policy guidelines.
- Reviews Premier Agreement Utilization Reports, communicates appropriately with Program staff, Premier and Clients. Drafts action plans when necessary.
- Interpersonal Relations
Respects and values all individuals’ diversity, knowledge, experience and abilities. Demonstrates honest and fairness in interpersonal relations. Open to new ideas/approaches.
- Is assisted by part time resources of the capital contracting and contract management staff.
- Manages relationship with Premier to maximize contract utilization by affiliate members.
- Works with personnel of Summa Health System affiliate facilities to coordinate operations of
the Affiliate program.
- Works with all levels of hospital staff including medical staff, clinical staff, board members, etc. To guide them in the understanding and use of the Affiliate Services Program.
Demonstrates financial prudence, does not waste supplies/materials. Seeks out ways to reduce costs.
- Manages affiliate programs in a financially prudent manner. Develops the budget and marketing plan for the network.
- Supervises the Materials Management Contract database to ensure the timely renegotiation of
- Works with buyers to review potential independent and GPO contract/agreement
opportunities, performing cost comparisons for review and consideration.
- Assumes responsibility for all financial aspects of the Affiliate Services Program including budgeting, fee structuring, contract negotiation, management of operating expenses, monitoring of rebate receipts and disbursements, selection of capital projects and billing of clients.
- Monitors rebate receipts, client billing and other financial records.
- Service Excellence.
Follows Service Excellence Standards of Behavior, including standards for Appearance and Environment, Attitude and Courtesy, Communication, Teamwork, Customer Service, Confidentiality, Safety and Etiquette. Practices professionalism and excellence with a team centered approach; understands and utilizes service recovery approaches.
- Job Specific Responsibilities:
The following job specific requirements should discuss the essential duties and responsibilities required of the position. They should not replicate those duties and responsibilities discussed above.
- Develop and leverage a broad view of the IT department’ s agreements with vendors to obtain better terms and prices on behalf of the entire IT department.
- Enforce company policy and legal and contractual best practices regarding suppliers.
- Operate at arm’ s length to eliminate bias and emotional attachment from the purchasing decision.
- Be responsible for ensuring that pricing is competitive by commissioning benchmarks as needed during the lifetime of the deal.
- Monitor and analyze trends in company spending and inventory control in order to make recommendations for the future, and to identify areas for possible savings.
- Develop, establish, implement, and enforce supplier and outsourcer guidelines, obligations, and service level agreements to the organization.
- Ensure that IT purchases continue to support the organization’ s business strategy.
- Build a dedicated and experienced Vendor Management Office, developing processes to focus on managing the entire portfolio of IT vendors.
- Assess vendor resources and expertise.
- Maintain a catalog of preferred vendors for IT products and services.
- Work alongside procurement colleagues to assist with developing statements of work (SOWs) and understand any current requests for information (RFIs), requests for quotations (RFQs) and requests for proposal (RFPs) that are in the pipeline.
- Work with legal representatives to develop and insert appropriate legal protections in contracts, as warranted.
- Work with all teams (security, compliance and tax, HR, accounts payable, and so on) to ensure that vendors are performing in accordance with existing requirements and regulatory obligations.
- Monitor vendor performance, intervening when performance falls below an acceptable threshold.
- Develop metrics and standards for vendor performance in all vendor categories.
- Provide senior management with regular reporting regarding the health of the vendor portfolio.
- Develop strategies for motivating vendors to provide above average service.
- Leverage purchasing decisions by providing IT line managers with information about colleagues purchasing similar products or services, or purchasing from the same vendor.
- Handle internal contract-related complaints or disagreements from the business or other internal stakeholders.
- Coordinates Customer Business Meetings including agenda planning, working with program presenters, preparation of program materials, coordination of audio/visual needs, and any special activities associated with these client meetings.
Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by the incumbent in this position. This description of duties is not intended to be all-inclusive or to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign additional tasks of a similar nature or level of responsibility.